Jobs @ NIH - Discover a Career at NIH: It's About Life
Fax Instructions for NIH Vacancies
View our Tutorial for Fax Imaging
Supporting Documentation Fax Instructions
Once you have submitted your USAJOBS resume and the responses to the questions on the HHS Careers system, you will have an opportunity to submit your supporting documents by Fax. To submit your supporting documents, please print out a fax coversheet for each of the requested documents that pertain to you and fax the coversheet and the document to the phone number indicated on the fax coversheet.
- Select the document(s) that you would like to submit by placing a check-mark in the "Select Cover Sheet" box. Only select the requested documents that are relevant to you.
- Create the cover sheet(s) by clicking on the "Print Cover Sheet" button. This will create cover sheets for all of the selected documents in a new window.
- Print the cover sheets. Your selected cover sheet(s) will open in a new browser window. Simply click the Print button or select File -> Print to print your cover sheet(s). If you are not currently connected to a printer, you can return to this application later and print at that time. There is special data on each cover sheet that enables us to process your faxed documentation without human intervention. Do not edit the cover sheet or write anything on it except for the total number of pages, date, and vacancy number. Make sure the printout is clear and legible with a white background.
- Assemble your fax(es). Place each cover sheet on top of the corresponding documentation. The data on the cover sheet is read using Optical Character Recognition technology and identifies the applicant, document, and vacancy. If the fax is coming through a commercial facsimile provider, ensure that their company cover sheet does not go on top of the cover sheet that was printed from the application. We cannot process your document if the first sheet in the fax is anything other than the cover sheet created by our application.
- Fax each type of documentation separately. For example, if you have to send two documents you will need to send two separate faxes with two different fax cover sheets as the first page in each set. All transcripts and education information are considered to be Education documentation so you should fax all of your transcript pages and other education related documents under the Education coversheet. All SF-50 pages are considered to be SF-50 documentation so, if you are faxing more than one SF-50, fax them all under the SF-50 cover sheet. If you attempt to fax them separately, only the most recent SF-50 will be accepted. If you need to add a page(s), you will need to fax all of the pages/documents for that document type/cover sheet.
- Prior to sending. Find out the correct way to place the document(s) in the fax machine in order to avoid sending your documents upside-down, back-side, or crooked. If you fax two sets with a copy of the same cover sheet the second fax will replace the first one in our system. To ensure accurate submission, it is recommended that you receive confirmation generated by your fax machine before faxing the next coversheet and corresponding document.
- Check for confirmation emails. For each fax, email confirmation from our system may take up to 24 hours from time of fax transmission. This email confirmation is your receipt of submission. If you did not receive confirmation for a document within 24 hours after initial transmission, please refax. Please be aware that some email systems may place our confirmation emails in "junk" or "bulk" folder. Also, check the status on your fax machine to ensure that the entire fax including cover sheet and document were sent successfully.
- For Assistance, contact HR Systems Support. If you encounter any problems when faxing your supporting documentation please call 301-451-1436 or email Hrsystemssupport@mail.nih.gov.