Jobs @ NIH - Discover a Career at NIH: It's About Life
Application Fast Facts
The National Institutes of Health is a federal agency within the Department of Health and Human Services. Jobseekers with a disability can elect to submit applications via the Schedule A Hiring Authority.
Schedule A Hiring Authority
The Schedule A Hiring Authority allows applicants with a disability to apply through either a noncompetitive or competitive hiring process.
- The noncompetitive hiring process means an applicant can apply for certain jobs whether or not a job announcement exists but must meet the eligibility status of the job and the minimum qualifications.
- The competitive hiring process means directly applying to a specific NIH job posting as advertised at: http://searchjobs.nih.gov/ website or applying to other federal agency job posting at: http://www.usajobs.gov/ and
Schedule A Eligibility
- To be considered eligible for Schedule A hiring authority, an individual needs to meet the criteria of disability as defined by OPM Job Seekers with Disabilities and
- Has documentation confirming the disability (from a licensed medical professional, vocational rehabilitation counselor or state or federal agencies that provide disability benefits).
- Sample Schedule A Letter/Certification
- State Vocational Rehabilitation Counselors
- For questions related to the Schedule A hiring process contact the NIH Selective Placement Program Coordinator, Sheila Monroe at firstname.lastname@example.org or the NIH Disabilities Program Manager, Kim Kirkpatrick at email@example.com.
The National Institutes of Health provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact the Human Resource (HR) contact on the vacancy announcement at least three business days before the closing date of this announcement. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
If applying online poses a hardship to you, the HR contact listed on the announcement will provide assistance to ensure that applications are submitted online by the closing date. You must contact the HR contact on the vacancy announcement at least three business days before the closing date of this announcement to receive assistance.